If you are an early adopter and are looking for the next social platform, look no further! Periscope is a streaming app that allows users to broadcast live, while followers can view live and engage with the presenter while streaming live. You can also watch a replay of the scope for the next 24 hours. Users can “heart” the broadcast if they like what they see and hear. This app is owned by Twitter and it has already become a social media game changer.
We have added Periscope into some of our client social media strategies. It’s not going to work for every client but it does work well for many of them. For our clients who are not afraid to be in front of the camera then it works fantastic! Darin Kidd has been extremely successful. He has scoped across the world from Hawaii to Virginia to Seoul Korea. From parking lots to helicopters to airport terminals. You can follow Darin on Periscope @DarinKidd. He has received over 2 million hearts (which is a sign of how much people love his scopes!) Since Periscopes are only visible for 24 hours, we use a tool called Katch to save them for replays. You can watch one of Darin’s scopes here.
If you are ready to jump on Periscope to reach your audience here are a few tips:
- Tip 1: The most important tip – Use your common sense. Remember you are live and there are an unlimited amount of people viewing you at any moment.
- Tip 2: Be unique and show personality – Periscope is the most social out of all the social platforms and really allows the user to show off their personality.
- Tip 3: Be consistent – Like most social media, Periscope takes effort and commitment. If you want your audience to keep coming back, tell them when to expect you. It is also a great way to inform them of upcoming topics you will cover on future scopes.
- Tip 4: Social support – Use your current social platforms to support your Periscope channel/profile/account? The followers you have on other platforms are already tuned in and looking for your content so it only makes sense to cross promote your Periscope.
- Tip 5: Provide value – This means no cat scopes unless you are a animal rescuer or cat trainer. Your followers are tuning in for value so don’t disappoint.